Feb
2013

4 wheels

Coach Andy reminded me that about a year ago I offered a massage to the first dude in the gym to deadlift four plates, meaning a standard bar loaded with four 45 pound plates on either side for a total of 405 pounds.  By his reckoning we now have over fifteen men who deadlift over 405. We also have numerous women who are deadlifting more than double bodyweight, and several who are picking up more than 300 pounds off the ground. Truth be told, I can’t keep track anymore.

I’d like to make a couple of off the cuff observations. First, the deadlift is important because it is a measure of raw functional strength and strong people are harder to kill. When the zombie apocalypse comes to Minneapolis the one place you want to be is TwinTown CrossFit. I’m sorry but Zumba cannot protect you.

The second observation is that we don’t have any ringers in our gym. The men and women who are doing this stuff aren’t former Division 1 athletes. They’re regular blokes with families and jobs, who’ve been training at the gym for a long time and through determination, sweat, and hard work have accomplished something truly remarkable.

I’m in awe of them.

Posted In blog

8 Comments

1. On February 8, 2013 Craig Nelson said

No, no ringers. And has been observed elsewhere, overflowing with nerds.

2. On February 8, 2013 Katelynn McBride said

Wrong. I am a ringer. I have been doing crossfit mediocrely for over a year but I am secretly amazing. One of these days, I am just going to bust in and blow yo mind.

3. On February 8, 2013 Craig Nelson said

Ah, the underachieving ringer. Kind of post-modernish, or something.

4. On February 8, 2013 Leo Arms said

How's this for functional?: We bought a new area rug, so I had to store the old 8×10' wool rug. After it was rolled up, I deadlifted it from the ground, adjusted it to my shoulder (like when you're running with a medicine ball), carried it to the garage. Of course, it has to go on a 7' tall shelf. So, I drop it back to my waist, and hang power clean it up and over. My plan was to stop at the top of the clean and push press it up to the shelf, but the hpc was fast enough that it just flew up onto the shelf before I could stop it. I guess the rug was lighter than whatever my hpc weight is…

5. On February 11, 2013 Shawn Kinzel said

still remember the day I broke the 400# barrier…had a grin on my face for a week

6. On February 11, 2013 Shawn Kinzel said

this gym is full of amazing people

7. On February 11, 2013 Craig Nelson said

Hoping to join the 4 wheels club this year. 15 lbs to go.

8. On February 11, 2013 Shawn Kinzel said

you will Craig, I've been watching you progress and work hard!